Sunday, September 24, 2006

Full Day

Traveled a lot of miles today. Did some work on the Yurok reservation, and took the back way back home, passing over the Klamath and into the deep, dark, woods. Climbing a hill on a rutted gravel road, I came across an unusual sight - a vehicle in the trees, totally burned, and the woods around on fire. Of course, no one wants to think the worst, so I pulled over to check it out.
In the trees I could hear a chain saw, and then noticed a guy scooping dirt up with what looked like a metal BBQ half. I grabbed the other half that was lying in the road, and together we kept throwing dirt and rocks on the burning brush and trees while his buddy cut down a lot of the undergrowth which was just starting to catch. About this time the driver, a young lad, came out of the woods and tried to explain that his vehicle had caught fire while he was driving and somehow, after he got out and looked under the hood at the burning engine, rolled off the road and into the woods, bursting into flames. Whatever.
About this time the Yurok Res Cops pulled up and got out their fire extinguisher, which didn't do much. I left after talking with them, as they told me a pumper was on its way. I passed it about two more miles up the hill.

No comments: