Thursday, October 26, 2006

Yup, It's Broke


Fifth metacarpal - seeing a surgeon tomorrow. I wonder how this will affect playing the guitar?

Oh, yeah, it hurts a little.

UPDATE:

After seeing the orthopaedic (his spelling) surgeon, we decided to take a wait-and-see attitude. He splinted the hand and pressed the break together to set it. He kept asking if I wanted a shot first, as it was going to be painful. I declined, and when he was setting the fracture I didn't know whether to pass out, throw up, or both. Took another x-ray, and said that he would check it in a week. If it doesn't go back together on its own, then it will be surgery with screws and a plate. There will also be a few weeks of therapy involved if I want full range use of my hand again. Man, this is not good news.

Interesting note - while looking at the film, he commented on an old wrist break. I remembered injuring it in a horse wreck when I was a kid, but my parents thought I was just being a whiner when I told them I thought I had broken it. VINDICATED!

No comments: